Sunday, October 5, 2014

THESE BOOTS WERE MADE FOR...

We went back to the craft show at Lincoln Center today.   It was a beautiful sunny day, though with a real nip in the air.  All the folks were there today so it was much different from yesterday.  And I bought some boots.  These are really too cool.  The lady selling them wanted my picture because I also had on this scarf that matched the boots.  


They had three food booths at this fair, one selling juice drinks, one selling French crepes, and the other selling lobster bisque. 

I thought most people's displays were more functional than exciting, but this display case caught my eye.  


We had to be back by 3:00 pm to leave for the concert this afternoon.  This is the only concert we bought tickets for ahead of time, and I guess because we were the rubes from California, they gave us the worst seats in the house.  Martha told us before we left that this church, Corpus Christie, had wonderful acoustics but poor sight lines, and she wasn't kidding.  We were in the second row in the balcony --okay, we did buy the tickets kind of late, but there were better seats.  Before the concert started, there was no one sitting in front of me, and all I could see was the chandelier.  Then the ticket holder arrived, and all I could see was his big curly head.  
But the acoustics were wonderful and the music was sublime.   At the intermission we moved to the very back row, where we could actual see!  And the acoustics were so good that you could hear the harpsichord until the sound died.  I was amazed.  
The title of the series is Music Before 1800, and this particular concert was from the courts of Vienna.  It turned out that one of the violinists, Julie Andrejeski, was someone who coached a group I played in at Vancouver Early Music workshop a couple of years ago, I had met the harpsichordist, Avi, at Martha's previously, and the gambist, David Morris, is from Berkeley.  
After the concert Martha treated us to a wonderful dinner at an Ethiopian restaurant, Massawa.  

No comments:

Post a Comment