Saturday, April 23, 2016

GEORGIA TO NORTH CAROLINA

We drove from Dahlonega, GA, pronounced dah-LON-ega, which took me two days to learn to pronounce, to Asheville, NC.  
Being in the south is different.  About a third of the way there, we had crossed the border into North Carolina, and very soon thereafter, we came to a big ol' flea market.  It was interesting.  Especially the fact that every third table had guns for sale.  
As soon as we walked into the flea market, we heard musicians playing hymns.  The first person we met told us how sad they were that one of their favorite vendors had suddenly died last week and was only 57.  I was able to confirm, by a wreath and picture on his booth, that it was not Prince.  

We bought some boiled peanuts, which I have never tasted before, but which really remind you that peanuts are legumes and not nuts.  Actually they are delicious.  
I also was interested in a couple of interesting signs.  

We arrived in Asheville around 5 pm and had dinner at Tupelo Honey Cafe. We had fried green tomatoes, John had chicken and biscuits, and I had Tupelo shrimp with grits.  Everything was delicious, but we really need some food that isn't FRIED.  

No comments:

Post a Comment