This morning when we got up it was raining, which was nice, because that meant it had cooled down a little. John was scheduled to do some caulking in Martha's bathrooms. We went out for breakfast first, and while we were out I saw a salon that was called Extreme Color, and I thought, I've been wanting some purple stripes in my hair for awhile, might as well do it today. So he went back and made repairs and I got some colors on my hairs. Notice the nice rhyming symmetry. I like it, though unless it's kind of bright, it just makes my hair look darker. Depending on how I comb it it's very thin strands of purple, or big wide ones.
When I finally came home, we sat around and chatted for awhile, read the NY Times, where I discovered that there's a fairly interesting home tour, well, actually a coop tour, of chicken houses in residential neighborhoods in Davis, and it's gone on for several years and I've never heard of it. Had to come all the way to NY to learn about a Davis thing.
Once we finally overcame our lethargy, we thought we'd go over to the East Side to have dinner and go to the Vuillard exhibit at the Jewish museum and then the concert at the JM.
On the way to the bus, we decided to go to one of our old favorite restaurants that's on the West Side, Saigon, which seems to have finally settled its labor dispute. We've always really liked the food there, but today it was only so-so. Maybe just the wrong choice. After we left Saigon, somewhat disappointed, we passed this sign. Too late. Oh well, maybe tomorrow.
The Vuillard exhibit at the Jewish Museum was pretty small, but very interesting. This is my favorite painting. It's about 5 feet by 6 feet or so. The mother and children in this painting survived the Holocaust. Their father died at Auschwitz -- as did a number of Vuillard's subjects in this exhibit.
Then we went to the concert. The musicians were good, it was billed as a Balkan-style band, which as far as I could see meant that they wore kind of ill fitting suits and had an accordion, but then I realized I have no idea what Balkan music sounds like.

In fact, they had a very eclectic repertoire and instrumentation: trumpet, accordion, bass guitar, drums, guitar, claviola? (a keyboard instrument that you blow into) and another instrument that mainly operated by feedback. Think of sounds you might have heard on "The Twilight Zone". I'm going to try to upload a video, but it usually takes forever and isn't always successful. The concert area is set up like a nightclub with tables, and they also have some regular theater-type seating in the other half of the room. I had what is becoming a more and more common problem, which was that it was too loud and I couldn't hear it. If I put my earplugs in, which made it less painful, I couldn't understand the words. Another joy of getting older, I guess. And they had free wine, beer, and ice cream -- a sort of weird combo, but I think the ice cream might have been from some kosher place -- they had macaroon, chocolate, and matzo crunch.
When we came out we remembered what we had said early in the day -- that we would take our umbrellas tonight because there would be thunderstorms. But we didn't. I think most of the thunderstorm was about from the time the concert ended until about 15 minutes after we got home. Fortunately it wasn't one of those sky-opening ones, so we weren't drenched, but 45 minutes of blow drying my hair this morning to get every strand perfectly straight was pretty much wasted. (Not that I care.)
No comments:
Post a Comment