Anybody who came here today to look at pictures of Hawaii is going to be disappointed, because I hardly took any. We had one of those days where we kind of had to take care of business. The main business we had to take care of was to get John a new bus pass because he lost his last night.
That meant a trip all the way out to the Kahili transit center, which I think is farther away than Kailua, even though it's still in Honolulu. He had to pay for the card and the ticket all over again. Bummer. I still think he'll get his money's worth out of it.
On our way back we were riding through the downtown area and could see that there was a farmer's market there. This one had flowers in the front, and since this is Hawaii, they were all orchids. We bought a delicious chicken curry sandwich from a vendor and sat on a bench and ate it. It was kind of cool people watching.
A number of senior Asian women obviously had a regular date there, and they all sat around, surrounded by their bags of groceries, newspapers, and other colorful bags of stuff that ladies of a certain age carry around with them.
There a number of jewelry vendors, a few vegetable vendors (and veggies are very expensive here) and a couple of tables of freshly baked bread. We wandered the whole market, which wasn't too big and then came home and, surprise, went to the beach.
The weather is of course, beautiful, the water warm, the waves gentle but big enough that you can pretend you want to body surf, and I still can't move my arm fast enough to catch a wave, even a little one. It's now been a month since I fell. I am getting OLD. It has NEVER taken this long for me to heal from anything before.
Tonight was First Friday, which seems to have followed the trajectory of Second Saturday in Sacramento, in that it started as a chance to visit art galleries, which later turned into a giant street party. This street party is so big that they close off the streets for it. One of the artists told us that they now have "soft Thursday," much as they have done in Sacramento.
We did get to look at some nice live/work art space which seemed quite cool. Mostly, the art wasn't very interesting.
On our way home, we realized that we would probably arrive back in Waikiki in time for the fireworks show. We literally got off the bus and heard the fireworks exploding. Sorry the picture is so crappy, but I figured I'd put it in anyway, since I really didn't take any pictures today. So we stood in the little park and watched them between the buildings. Close enough for me. (They have a fireworks show every Friday night in Waikiki)
Our favorite boy singers were on the street, and I wanted to get a video of them, but we stopped to eat first and when we got back there, they weren't singing because their battery had gone dead and they were recharging it. They are so popular, I'll bet they make about $400 a night when they are there. And they are such nice boys.
And finally, as we were walking back to our hotel, there was a tiny farmer's market across the street from our hotel, and they were selling malasadas, which are an iconic treat. They're sort of like a beignet, but they are round.
I think tomorrow we'll go back to Hanauma Bay, and then tomorrow night we'll go to the Punahou school festival. It's supposed to be really fun, with good food and some pretty big carnival rides for the kids.





No comments:
Post a Comment